Saturday, March 16, 2013

Celebrating a wonderful soul with a day of gardening!

Happy day to my beloved grandma, Glorene Strickland.  Today she would have been 75.  Although we have all been missing her for 6 months now, I know that her spirit is with us, in every good deed, kind word, and in EVERY plant and flower.  She loved flowers more than anything, and her happiest times were in the garden or riding around the 200 acre farm on the golf cart.  Pretty much everything I know about plants and growing things I learned from her, not to mention sewing, cooking, cleaning, and loving.  I can still picture her sitting on a bucket in the middle of a field of beans, peas, or whatever she was harvesting that day, smiling, singing, and laughing so genuinely that even god would chuckle, too.  Now her spirit is among the stars, but she is always and forever in my heart and on my mind. 

Today, in her honor, we worked on our own gardens- a lot!  Here's a recap- we trimmed the azaleas and sweet betsys (both bushes in front of the house), planted a Satsuma Mandarin tree, a blueberry bush, tomatos, cilantro, parsley, purple sweet potatoes, peas, and corn.  I also created flower beds on either side of the porch entrance, with pansy, snap dragons, and dianthus joining the mint, peony, and lavender I planted last year.  I also planted a beautiful calla lily, in honor of my grandma.  I know she would love it. :)


Blueberry bush

Satsuma Mandarin- about to bloom!

Tomato transplants- Cherokee Purple, Matt's Wild, and San Marzano

The newly fenced 20x20!  Craig has worked so hard on this, its really shaping up!

My super awesome hand chair!  And a row of newly planted corn-just dirt so far.

Me planting flowers.  I love that I finally have a spot for my teacup birdbath!

Finished!
 
In honor and love of Glorene Strickland, 1938-2012 <3
  

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Jessi! I can't think of a better way to honor Grandma than a day of gardening.

    Martin and I enjoyed reading about all of the work that you and Craig have been doing in the gardens! I had no idea y'all were growing so much! We were admiring all of your produce and hoping that we will get a chance to come visit and enjoy the fruits of your labor. =)

    Once I have a better gardening spot I will need to learn from y'all's expertise. We're looking forward to seeing your progress as spring and summer come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiff! It was a really fun day and we love it when the weather is perfect for productivity! Glad we can be an inspiration to you and Martin. Can't wait until y'all come visit! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete